Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October’s UFO

As my son would say -- “Yeah, about that….”
At the beginning of the month the contents of  the bag looked like this:
nov ufo fabrics There are two batik New York Beauty blocks along with some fabrics that may or may not coordinate.  This collection came from a UFO swap with friends a few years ago, and I was supposed to “do something” with it.  I have an idea of what this could become, but at the end of the month, I’m afraid it looks exactly the same as it did. 



I am going to claim a finish anyway.  A donated Lonestar top turned up at our quilting group.  Not the right size for a prayer quilt, and besides it would have been an absolute waste to simply put ties in something that complex.  There was a fund-raiser auction coming up, so I took on the job of finishing the quilt for that.  Here’s how it looked when it was done:

Lonestar quilted
I’m guessing this had been in storage for a while before being donated.  The colours take me back a decade or so.  It has been beautifully pieced.  I wonder about the story behind it – why it languished unfinished and then simply was donated. 
Lonestar quilting detail
Here is a close-up of the quilting on one of the plain setting squares.  I used a variegated thread to give a bit of texture to the plain gray fabric. 




Technorati Tags: ,,

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wonderful job on the quilting! Whoever started that quilt would be thrilled to see how beautifully you finished it up. :o)

Donna~~ said...

Lovely quilting--really makes the quilt!

JudyCinNC said...

The quilting just makes that quilt. Really good job. Judy C

Ellen said...

It seems we all have good intentions about working on projects - thankfully they are mostly self-imposed expectations. Lovely quilting!

Ruth said...

It's muted and peaceful, and the quilting adds sculptural dimension. Lovely.