Monday, December 9, 2013
It just so happens that we have some hexagons sitting around, left over from a previous banner project. So we took some measurements and set to work.
I used my trusty Electric Quilt program to draw up a plan to give some idea of layout and size of the hexagons.
Then I printed out a template from EQ7 for the hexagon. I made a window template from an old file folder so that I could centre the hexagon correctly.
The template was used to make trim seven hexagons to the required size. The background is ready -- it is a piece of black fabric pre-quilted on the long arm machine. At the moment the circle shape is defined by a paper template. When we decide on the layout we want we will stitch the hexagons in place and cut the background to the correct size. There is plenty of the print fabric for binding.
We still have to work out the method of attaching this to the drum – hair elastics might work. And does it need some embellishment? – that could be added later.
Of course, if this turns out well, we could find ourselves being asked for more – seasonal drum covers, perhaps? Coordinating banners for the music stands? It seemed like such a minor project when we first started!
Monday, December 2, 2013
I’ve been working on the Smoothing Iron quilt that I’m making with my African indigo fabrics. Just two more long seams and the top will be complete. THEN I can start on Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice!
There are lots of bias edges with these sixty degree angles and lots of points that I would like to have match nicely. So I’ve been pinning carefully as I go along – I would rather spend a few minutes pinning than a lot of minutes picking out!
As I worked I became annoyed at finding pins with rough spots on them. Seemed every second pin I picked up had burrs on the shaft. I finally reached for the little pill container in which I put discarded “Sharps” and dropped the next nasty pin in there. No more rough pins! I had been picking up and putting back the same bad pin for half an hour!!
Monday, November 18, 2013
A stack of blue print strips in an odd size – what to do?
Another stack of solid bits seemed to be complementary colours.
I decided to leave some blue strips full size and I cut others in half lengthwise.
Then I made strips from the solids. This required some piecing and resulted in strips in a variety of widths.
I assembled blocks using a wide blue strip, a narrow blue strip, and assorted solid strips. The blocks were trimmed to size and arranged in a Rail Fence pattern
The top finishes at 40” square. A back has been prepared, and this project has joined the queue for quilting.
Sunday, November 3, 2013
Many years ago I swapped strips of Christmas fabrics with internet friends. Ever since, I’ve been working them into projects and wondering if I would ever come to the end of the pile.
This year, I’ve made another table runner using those strips, and there are now only a very few left. Hooray!
I adapted a pattern called Baby Juniper from the new book Angles With Ease published by Anka’s Treasures. I am calling the trees on my runner Pine Trees, because junipers in this part of the world are not that shape. The Triangler ruler that goes with the book made cutting the pieces very simple.
I completed the runner with some machine quilting. Now I’m not quite sure what those shapes represent – snowflakes, perhaps?
It’s great fun to have some Christmas stitching already finished!
Monday, October 21, 2013
My friend Pat made these framed pinwheels for our Prayer Quilts group recently. The pinwheel blocks in the centres finish to 5” square – why that size? Because that’s what worked with the triangles she had on hand.
We framed each one with strips cut 2 1/4” wide. This seems an unusual width, but Pat had on hand some muslin she wanted to use, and it was already cut in 4 1/2” strips, so she simply cut them in half.
The blocks will finish at 8 1/2”. We expect that 20 blocks plus borders (let’s see what’s available in the cupboard) will make a quilt the perfect size. It will look like we planned it that way!
Technorati Tags: scrappy,pinwheels,prayer quilts
Thursday, October 17, 2013
At Scrappy Club last week Helga showed us a charming basket that she had made with her sewing group in Holland. She very kindly demonstrated how it was put together.
It is reversible, and it makes a wonderful container for all those tools on the sewing table. Or it could be a thread catcher. Or you might use it in the bathroom to hold odds and ends. You are sure to find many other uses for one of these.
See the tutorial page (at the top, right hand side, of this blog) called “Helga’s Reversible Basket” for instructions.
Monday, October 14, 2013
I’ve been working on “use ‘em up” type scrappy projects for the last few weeks, and it’s time to do something else. Remembering my vow to start using “the good stuff” in my stash I pulled out a bin of lovely shweshwe fabrics from South Africa.
Not much sewing done yet, but I’ve constructed two blocks. I’m using the directions for Smoothing Iron as found in Gayle Bong’s book Trouble Free Triangles.The rest of the time I’ve been busy with cutting and counting the pieces I’ll need. I have a couple of days lined up to sew with friends in the not-too-distant future, and I’m looking forward to pulling out my pieces and doing a lot of stitching.
I’m linking up with Design Wall Monday over at Patchwork Times – so hop over and be inspired by what other quilters are doing this week.