Tuesday, June 28, 2011
I had the first pan of cookies in the oven when I realized what I’d done. Too late for that batch. I hurriedly mixed baking soda into the remaining dough. Was quite amazed at the results!
The duds weren’t wasted. My son said they tasted fine, and I notice they have all since disappeared.
Friday, June 17, 2011
June’s UFO bore the title “Ugly Blocks”. This project began with a challenge on Stashbusters group to make a sampler as a BOM using an ugly fabric from the stash. My ugly fabric is one of those 36” wide prints from years gone by – nice quality fabric, but I really don’t like the brown! I made only two blocks before realizing I wasn’t going to keep up with the project, but I kept the blocks and fabrics together. Then when I needed some samples for a class using the Creative Curves rulers I dipped into the same set of fabrics and added a few more blocks to the collections.
Six blocks do not make a very large quilt, so I had to increase the size with sashing and borders. When I saw the cheerful Scrappy Spiderweb over on Kathy’s Quilts blog I was reminded of much fun a piano keys type border can be. I think it frames these blocks and brings out the colours nicely. The top is 46” by 64” now – this would make a respectable lap quilt, or it could be donated to our Prayer Quilts group. I’m not finishing it at this point, but it will be added to the pile of Useful Tops.